2013 October 22

REPORT OF THE PUBLIC PARTICIPATION HELD DURING THE MEETING OF TUESDAY 22 OCTOBER 2013 IN  THE COMMITTEE ROOM OF THE QUEEN ELIZABETH HALL

PRESENT: Cllrs. S. Cole (Chair), G. Paterson, S. Harris, K. O’Hara, R. Barrett, M. Smith,  S. Henderson, J. Bacon.

1: APOLOGIES /2: NON ATTENDANCE: 1: Cllr. Rance (work commitment).

ALSO PRESENT: 3 Members of the Public, County Cllr. J. Timewell, District Cllr. G. Williams, Mrs. A. Fitch-Tillett, District Cllr., Mr. N. Baker, Corporate Director NNDC.

Clerk: Mrs. J. Gardner

District Cllr. A. Fitch-Tillett and Mr. N. Baker. Corporate Director NNDC: Mrs. Fitch-Tillett and Mr. Baker attended the meeting as part of NNDC’s scheme to improve relations between NNDC and Town and Parish Councils. At first Town Councils were visited after which 50% of Parish Councils took up the opportunity to meet officers from NNDC. Officers will continue to come and attend meetings if necessary. Mrs. Fitch-Tillett introduced herself as a Cabinet member and part of a team of 6 of which Mr. T. Fitzpatrick is the leader. As District Councillor for Poppyland her main concern is the coastal erosion. She is also involved with the protection of the countryside, tackling all difficulties relating to both coast and countryside and is pleased working together with landowners helping to conserve the countryside and protect it environmentally. Jobs and the local economy are the most important issues for North Norfolk where it is good to live, but not so good for jobs, although the oil and windpower industry are very beneficial for the area. Mrs. Fitch-Tillett said that housing and infrastructure were second on the agenda with social housing not having done well in the last few years. She informed all present that any development now only needs to consist of 20% affordable housing (was 45%) to kickstart the building programme. Retention of our rich heritage is also an important item, assisted by a new Head of Planning and a new Cabinet Member solely for Planning. Then there is the Big Society Fund, generated from second home council tax, and everybody is invited to apply for a grant. Contact Ms. S. Schuter.

Mr. Nick Baker introduced himself as a Senior Member. He informed all present that in practice they carry out the policies of the Government. They wish to keep services at a good level, while still making savings of £1m. which is a big cut in a £12m budget. One saving, £150.000 has been created by joining a venture with Norse at Costessey for recycling. Norse will carry all losses, but NNDC will share in any profits. Withdrawing CCTV in towns is saving £200,000 while an extension of leisure contracts saves up to £70,000 with High Schools sports centres being kept open where the numbers have gone up.

Legal Services will be offered at competitive rates to Parish and Town Councils, not for profit clubs etc., creating an income, but not for profit. Advice could be given about Accounting and Audit.

He voiced his concerns about the £189m savings which need to be made by Norfolk County Council who have suggested tor reduce opening hours at the Recycling Centre but also start to charge £2.00 per visit from 2016. This is likely to increase fly tipping, putting the financial burden on landowners and NNDC.

He asked to make residents aware they can have comment on NCC suggestions.

A question was put to both members about the cost of parking in North Walsham, but also in other towns which is having an impact on the shops. The new parking scheme had to be tried first, before it could be reviewed, which will include the evening charges and will take place soon. A suggestion was made to look at improving Public Transport. Another question was asked about Enforcement. Mr. Baker first explained that when a building is not built to standard, Building Control gets involved, but if a building exceeds dimension Enforcement has to take action.

Both members agreed that Enforcement had been very poor in the past, but with the new Head of Planning they envisages joint up thinking between Planning and Enforcement.It was suggested that Enforcement/Planning also link the history of a builder to new retrospective Planning Permission, when he applies for it. An example was given about a builder who built in Worstead, exceeded the height of the building, applied for retrospective Planning Permission, which was given. He already had carried out this trick before. It was agreed that the Planning system will always be played. NNDC will look for the best way to deal with Enforcement, bearing in mind housing and the environment.

Both members were thanked for their information, they left the meeting.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION:

One member asked why a Public House from a nearby village was given permission to advertise their event on a Worstead Events stand. The Council is not involved in this, but it may be that the Queen Elizabeth Hall knows about this.

Cllr. Bacon volunteered to discuss it with the Chairman of the Management Commt.

The same member also asked whether the Council knew who the owner of the pond at the School is, as the Friends of Worstead School and the School itself would like to make it part of the Forest School scheme.

He was advised that there is a box at the School with a lot of information about this, because this has already been done before, unsuccessfully.

Mr. Chapman, our Handyman, said he had removed a blown over tree from the footpath. He also had cut back branches at the School Pond for safe access. He was informed that Community Payback members are not allowed to clear ponds.

He also passed on that a tree in the triangle in front of the Queen Elizabeth Hall is dead and needs removing. It was agreed to find out first whether it is a commemorative tree.

COUNTY / DISTRICT COUNCILLOR:

County Cllr. Timewell: said the consultation for the base at Coltishall has been closed and he is awaiting a report. He is very keen on good employment opportunities on the site.

District Cllr. Williams: attended the meeting, but felt that the members of NNDC already had given sufficient information.

CORRESPONDENCE:

Norfolk County Council: Norfolk Putting People First Consultation now open until12.12. 2013; Information about funds for speedsigns and street lights.  – North Norfolk District Council: Notice to apply for precept for 2014/2015.  – Norfolk Association of Local Councils: Annual Report 2012/2013; Agenda AGM 05.10and Minutes AGM 08.11.2012; Autumn Seminar 06.11.13 Sandringham Visitor Centre 10.00-15.00 £35.00.  – Eastern Fisheries & Conservation Authority: Notification of Formal Consultation on protected areas bylaws in order to further the conservation objectives of European Marine Sites.  – Norse: landscape Development.  – AON Insurance: guidelines for organising Firework Displays etc.

CORRESPONDENCE CHARITY:

CCLA: Statement of unitholding held on 31.08.2013.  – Howes Brothers: £800.00 for rent of Charity Land.

Public Participation finished at 20.45

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON  TUESDAY 22 OCTOBER 2013 AT THE QUEEN ELIZABETH HALL, WORSTEAD

PRESENT: Cllrs. S. Cole (Chair), G. Paterson, S. Harris, K. O’Hara, R. Barrett, M. Smith, S. Henderson, J. Bacon.

1: APOLOGIES /2: NON ATTENDANCE: 1: Cllr. Rance (work commitment).

ALSO PRESENT: 3 Members of the Public, County Cllr. J. Timewell, District Cllr. G. Williams.     Clerk: Mrs. J. Gardner.

ACCEPTANCE OF THE APOLOGIES:Cllr. Rance’s apology was accepted.

TO CONSIDER  AND RESOLVE WHETHER TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MONTHLY MEETING HELD ON 10 SEPTEMBER.2013:

All Cllrs. agreed that the minutes were a true record of September’s meeting. Resolution: The minutes were accepted as a true record and duly signed by Chairman Cole.

TO MAKE DECLARATION OF INTEREST IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA, if any:

Cllr. Paterson declared an interest for item: 13.060A1a. He had already informed of his interest by email to the Clerk, this email was circulated amongst the other Cllrs.

MATTERS ARISING from the minutes of previous meetings: (for information only):

A response was received re. the letter from the Parish Council to request that a tree in Briggate was  cut back. This letter mainly was about speeding and the size of agricultural equipment travelling through the hamlet.

FINANCES:

TO CONSIDER APPROVAL OF STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT:

 Cllr. Barrett proposed to accept The Statement of Accounts as a true record, seconded by Cllr. Paterson, all agreed.

TO CONSIDER AND RESOLVE WHETHER TO MAKE THE FOLLOWING PAYMENTS:

1: Matthew Williams: roller hire and driver for footpath: £130.00+VAT £26.00=£156.00

2: East Coast Nursery Ltd; Domain name & hosting:     £  16.67+VAT £  3.33=£  20.00. Resolution: Both were accepted for payment.

TO CONSIDER AND RESOLVE WHETHER TO TRANSFER  £4,000.00 FROM THE COMMUNITY ACCOUNT TO BUSINESS RATE TRACKER: Resolution: The transfer was accepted and signed.

FINANCIAL CORRESPONDENCE: – North Norfolk District Council: Remittance Advice  2nd Installment precept  £4,501.00; – Aon Insurance Ltd: Refund Insurance Premium £90.54; – HMRC: New tax code.

SUBCOMMITTEES:

Planning: (Cllrs. Harris, Barrett, Paterson and Henderson):

APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AND COMMENTED UPON IN BETWEEN MEETINGS (by email): Cllr. Paterson declared his interest via email, which was forwarded to all Cllrs.

Ref.: PF/13/1080: Bunns Farm, Withergate Road: Removal of Condition 2 of PP ref.05/0964 to permit permanent residential occupation

Ref.: PF/13/1105: 4 Hill View, Westwick Road: Erection of two-storey rear/side extension: Resolution: for both applications: to have no objection or comment.

TO CONSIDER COMMENTS ON THE FOLLOWING PLANNING APPLICATIONS:

Ref.: PF/13/1187: Orchard Piece, Station Road, Briggate: Erection of replacement garage: a brief discussion took place whether the extension would affect neighbouring properties, this is not the case. Resolution: to have no objection or comment.

Notice of Decision: from NNDC: PERMISSION:

Ref.: PF/13/0762: Lavenders, 1 Cubitts Yard: Erection of first floor side extension.

Ref.: PF/13/0860: Worstead Day Care Centre, Meeting Hill: Erection of summerhouse /cabin.

Ref.: PF/13/1042: The White Lady, Front Street: Variation of condition 1 of PP ref. 13/0463 to permit extension of period for implementation of permission of revised terrace.

REFUSAL:

Ref.: PF/13/0791: Removal of cond. 3, 4 & 5 of PP Ref. 12/1032 to permit permanent residential occupation and Ref.: PF/13/0792: Removal of cond. 3, 4 &5 of PP Ref. 11/1278 to permit permanent residential occupation and variation of cond. 2 to permit retention of access from Front Street, both The White Lady, Front Street.

Leisure and Recreation: (Cllrs. Rance and Barrett).

Cllr. Barrett had nothing to report.

Highways: (Cllrs. O’Hara, Bacon and Henderson):

No report.

Queen Elizabeth Hall: (Cllr. Harris):

Cllr. Harris said a meeting would take place w.c. 28.10.2013

Bicycle Rack: Chairman Cole asked that some Cllrs. form a team  to install two racks. He will again contact the person who is making the Notice Board for the Hall.

Direction sign for Queen Elizabeth Hall: a plain black on white with a P will be £85.00 while a tourist brown sign has been quoted at £115.00. Clerk will email the example from the printer to the Cllrs. again

Cllr. Bacon informed all present that the present Chairman of the Queen Elizabeth Hall Management Committee would like to resign, because he has moved away. The Clerk will find out what the position of the Parish Council as Custodian Trustee can be in assisting and/or getting involved in finding another Chairman.

PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY FOR RUIN ROAD:

A detailed Ordnance Survey map has been requested for the residents who complete the form to indicate where they were going when using Ruin Road. The Clerk is still asking residents to complete the forms and this map.

The Land Registry does not go out on site visits.

SALT BINS:

No decision about the purchase of a salt bin can be made until there is a response from Highways. County Cllr. Timewell promised to get in touch with the Officer in question

CHURCH IMPROVEMENT AND GRAVEYARD EXTENSION:

Cllr. Henderson has been unable to arrange a meeting between all interested parties.

GLASS RECYCLING:

The Clerk has still not received a response to the letter sent to a local recycling company.

TO CONSIDER AND RESOLVE WHETHER TO REGISTER BUILDING OF COMMUNAL INTEREST AS COMMUNITY BUILDING:

As part of the Localism Act 2011 (groups of) residents can register one or more buildings as a Community building with NNDC, to allow them to decide whether they are able and willing to buy that building in question (6 months to find the funds).

Resolution: It was agreed to register The White Lady, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Worstead School, the Railway Station building, St. Mary the Virgin, Meeting Baptist Church and Worstead Day Care Centre (the last 3 may not fall within the criteria).

The owners/occupiers will receive a letter from the Parish Council, but NNDC will also confirm the registration.

TO CONSIDER AND RESOLVE WHETHER TO ASK FOR FUNDING FOR A SPEED SIGN NEAR WORSTEAD SCHOOL:

Norfolk County Council has set aside funds to allow Councils to apply for grants, on a 50/50 basis for Highways improvements, deadline 31.01.2014.

It was agreed to find out first what the cost of such a sign is.

TO RECOMMEND RESIDENT FOR AN AWARD:

Cllr Bacon suggested recommending a resident for an award. It was agreed that all Cllrs and the Clerk will look into what is available at present

TELEPHONE BOXES (STATION ROAD, BRIGGATE AND MEETING HILL) TO BE CLEANED, PAINTED AND USED AS NOTICE BOARDS AND SELLING POINTS FOR LOCAL CLUBS ETC (TRIAL):

DISCUSS AND RESOLVE WHETHER TO WORK ON WWI MEMORIAL:

Both were postponed until next month’s meeting.

MATTERS FOR DISCUSSION: (for information only): None.

ITEMS FOR NEXT AGENDA: (WEDNESDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2013 7.30pm)

– Precept; –  Public right of Way Ruin Road; – Salt Bins; – Church improvements and graveyard; – Glass recycling; – Speed signs; – Heritage funds for WWI memoranda; – Cleaning, painting and use of telephone boxes.

The meeting finished at 21.40

 

Comments are closed.